Monday, March 11, 2013

{The Grateful Project} Day 18: getting educated

Woah! How did I get so behind yet again? Time management really is not my strong point. And I chose to go back to study? Again? With two kids? And whilst trying to run a household and a business? Really!?! 


just your average Saturday night activities

Yes! Yes I did and even though it is hard work trying to manage it all, im so glad I did and im so grateful to have the opportunity. 

For as long as I can remember, it has been my dream to be an Interior Designer, long before The Block made it cool! Many days during my childhood were spent rearranging the furniture or going over house plans in the Sunday paper, drawing up room sketches and pouring over the gorgeous homes in my stash of design mags. I loved art and design and I wanted to make a career out of it. 

But when you are 18, and you have just moved out of home to live with your boyfriend, and you really need money to pay for boring things like a mortgage and groceries, well you will take any job you can get and any dreams you have of a glamorous design career get left by the wayside. 

So I worked in a chinese restaurant, then a pharmacy, then for an airline, then in jewellery sales and finally, in marketing. Then I had kids. And somewhere in there, right before leaving my marketing job and having our first child, the husband started his little earthmoving business. And that is what I do now. Kind of. (Im not very good at keeping on top of it all...whoops!)

But in all of that, something was missing. None of it was what I wanted to do, all of those jobs were what I felt I had to do. I started feeling resentful and full of regret for not pursuing my dreams and instead, being responsible. urgh. 

So, one day I randomly decided to do a bit of googling on interior design courses. And then I just applied. And then I told my husband. And he tried to be supportive. But he is kind of pissed about all the wasted money on HECS from my last attempt at a tertiary education that I never finished (hello incomplete Bachelor of Management Marketing) . But this time will be different. Finally, at the age of 28, I am realising my dream (apart from the other dream of you know, having two gorgeous kids and an awesome husband). This is what I have always wanted to do.


research

Im so grateful to be an interior design student. So much so that all the boring things about being a student really arent that boring to me. I love going to Tafe. I love all of my classes and I really enjoy doing my homework. Im so excited about the future and what it holds. Whether or not ill be a successful interior designer or not, at least I have given it a go. And I will always know I tried. 

No regrets here.

Lisa xx

No comments:

Post a Comment